Tuesday, April 10, 2012

1st quarter down, still in business

So it's been a long time since I've written anything.  There's two reasons for that.  One, we are really busy, which I'll expand upon later.   Second, there is a RAT amongst us.  Yes, a rat.  Whenever I share something that is borderline "appropriate" or "not public information", this person goes running to tell on us.  It's annoying because I'd prefer to share the entertaining stuff with all of you, but this person is ruining the fun for everyone.  I am asking you politely to stop.  Yes, we know who you are (your name has 5 letters). Please, just relax.

Anyways...back to hard cider.  Like I said, we've been really busy getting ready for launches in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.  In addition, we're finalizing everything we need to launch our cans as well.  Oh yeah...we're adding a new flavor with all of this.  Add this to the normal routine of selling and producing cider for a rapidly growing list of accounts throughout Maine (http://downeastcider.com/locator.php), paying the bills, supplying accounts with swag, going to beer/cider festivals (http://www.kjonline.com/news/a-sampling-beyond-just-beer_2012-04-07.html) and promo nights, and you've got a busy crew.

That's not to say we're not having fun.  Almost everyone we've met along the way has been helpful and supportive.  We've been bothering anyone who will listen, trying to get advice, and have found a lot of open ears.  We see many of the Maine breweries at various events, and I can't say enough good things about them.  They have their own stuff going on but they're always willing to help us out with this or that.  The customers have also been great.  Thank you to everyone for your support, advice (both positive and negative are welcome), stories, and kind words.  As a small, and flexible company, we absolutely listen to anyone and everyone, and attempt to fulfill your wants and needs while sticking to our principals.  If you think we are failing, email or call Ben or Tyler and let them have an earful...I was on your side.

Random side note here.  We were at the Central Maine Brewers Festival last weekend and found ourselves in the booth next to Shipyard.  Their set-up obviously had a little more pizazz than ours, and we found ourselves with a bit of an inferiority complex.  To compensate, we had Ben's parents, who were coming down to the event, drop by our apartment and pick up a bunch of stuff.  In another impromptu decision we decided we should sell the stuff, which included mason jar mugs and tin wall tackers, at cost.  We were also giving away our cork coasters, which are kind of expensive, and realizing this, people were nabbing like 5 at a time (we eventually figured out that the less coasters we put on the table, the less likely people were to take a ton).  So in a bit of rolling thought right now, I think I'm going to attempt to set up an online store via facebook where you can purchase whatever POS (Point Of Sales, not the other POS) we have...pint glasses, mugs, tin tackers, shirts, etc...so keep an eye out if we ever get to that.

I think that covers the general gist of what we're up to right now.  If you're telling yourself, "I'm pretty sure that was just random streaming consciousness of seemingly non-connected ideas that followed absolutely ZERO organized, or otherwise thoughtfully planned direction" then I say to you:
you get exactly what we're doing right now.

Oh, and I usually end these by making fun of Ben and Tyler in some way, and I don't see why that has to stop so I thought I'd share a brief story about the three of us in college.  When we were thinking about starting a hard cider company, a fad known as Four Loko was taking the country, and college campuses, by storm.  For those that don't know, Four Loko was a 24 oz alcoholic beverage that had something to the tune of the equivalent of 4 beers and 4 coffees (still exists, but the caffeine was removed and the alcohol was toned down).  That company was started by a few Ohio State alumns, which sparked an "if they can do it we can do it" attitude (obviously we went in a slightly different direction with our product...).  Anyway, we only got to drink these infamous cans once, and I think I can safely speak for not only myself, but Ben, Tyler, our friends, the Bates College campus, and anyone who came withing striking distance of us on that fateful night, it was a good thing we only made one go of it.  Unfortunately this isn't the right forum for describing what happened that night in full detail, but I can show you a picture of us from the beginning of the night, when things were normal:


To say the night went downhill from here might be doing downhill an injustice. For the protection of those with "real jobs" I went with some high tech editing all over this photo.

PS - If you're wondering about the clothes, I'm not 100% sure.  I want to say it was Halloween, but in all honesty, I'm not sure it was.

21 comments:

  1. I'd rather not know, what the end of the evening photo was. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey buddies, such a marvelous blog you have made I’m surprised to read such informative stuf Parallel Profits Steve Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey buddies, such a marvelous blog you have made I’m surprised to read such informative stuf Parallel Profits Steve Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m excited to uncover this page. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new information in your site. pressbusiness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post yet I was thinking about whether you could compose a litte more on this subject? I"d be exceptionally grateful in the event that you could expound a tad bit further. Value it! Rain gutter maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. Guest Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. fine web site, in which did u arrive occurring thinking about the find the kid assist for advice greater or much less this posting?i've admittance most of the articles concerning your internet site now, and that i in try of reality additionally your fashion. thank you 1,000,000 and preserve busy shop happening the energetic discharge loyalty. Guest Post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. Bolt Posts

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes i'm wholly in reality later this article and that i simply throb proclaim that this newsletter is absolutely possible and truely informative article.i will make particular to be reading your weblog more. You made a pure mitigation however I cannot designate dispel to however astonishment, what approximately the brand new facet? !!!!!!thanks About Jay Shetty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. Bolt Posts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much for this great post. Bolt Posts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. Bolt Posts

    ReplyDelete
  13. A portion of the disadvantages are it requires some investment to make your very own items and requires great learning in your field. make money online

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks The Best Bulk SMS Service Provider in Sharjah UAE

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks Bolt Posts

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... What is bitcoin profit

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. CA Firms in Ghaziabad

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. Buy herbal medicine online

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: us import data

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have got the superb information from these blogs finally.
    https://bizop.org/

    ReplyDelete
  21. It’s amazing in support of me to truly have a blog site, which will be valuable meant for my knowledge. Thanks admin.
    business opportunities

    ReplyDelete